Motorcycle Training – FAQs

Contract All | Expand All

Do I need to take the Theory Test?

You will need to pass a Theory Test before taking a practical test for a moped or motorcycle, unless you have passed a moped test since 1 July 1996.

How long is the Theory Test pass valid?

The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for two years. The practical test must be passed within this period otherwise the Theory Test will have to be taken again.

What are the different types of full motorcycle licences?

There are four types of full licence to aim for and two routes to a Cat A licence:

  1. A moped licence (AM) Aged 16 or over, restricts rider to a moped no more than 50cc and below 4kW. Tests must be taken on a moped no more than 50cc and below 4kW.
  2. A light motorcycle licence (A1) Aged 17 or over, which restricts riders to any bike up to 125cc and a power output of 11kW. The practical tests must be taken on a bike of between 120cc and 125cc.
  3. A medium motorcycle licence (A2) Aged 19 or over, restricts riders to a motorcycle not exceeding 35kW. The practical tests must be taken on a bike of over 395cc and between 25kW and 35kW.
  4. A large motorcycle licence (A) (accelerated access) Aged 21 or over (rider must have held full A2 licence for two years) is obtained if the practical tests are taken on a bike at least 595cc with a power output of at least 40kW. Rider can now ride any size of motorcycle.
  5. A large motorcycle licence (A) (DAS, direct access) Aged 24 or over, the practical tests are taken on a bike at least 595cc with a power output of at least 40kW. Rider can now ride any size of motorcycle.

The two year A2 rule no longer applies. And a valid theory test certificate is required for every test.

After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike.

There is a large range of bikes that meet this restriction as standard and there are also limited power versions of more powerful bikes available from most manufacturers. Restriction kits are also available for a wider range of older and modern machines.

On passing the large motorcycle practical test you can discard your L plates and ride any motorcycle.

Is everyone required to pass a Compulsory Basic Training Course (CBT)?

You will need to complete a CBT if:

  • You want to ride a motorcycle.
  • You want to ride a moped.

However, if you obtained your car licence before February 1, 2001, you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

Is there ample space for the bike training?

Our motorcycle training centre is the largest sole purpose in Dundee and the surrounding area. It’s more than 3000 meters square and has its own road layout featuring a roundabout and junctions.

What if I don’t complete the CBT course on the day it’s booked?

You can return to us on another day – free of charge – to complete your CBT.

Who are the main motorcycle training instructors?

The main instructors are Alan and Heather Kelly, who have more than 40 years’ bike riding experience. Alan is a Cardington DSA-Qualified Instructor.

What are the main elements of the CBT course?

The CBT course syllabus includes five elements that have to be completed in sequence:

  1. Element A - Introduction.
  2. Element B - Practical on-site training.
  3. Element C - Practical on-site riding.
  4. Element D - Practical on-road training.
  5. Element E - Practical on-road riding.
How long is the CBT certificate valid?

The DL196 is a legal document, which serves to validate the relevant entitlements on the driving licence. It is important that the holder of a DL196 certificate considers the following points:

A DL196 certificate entitlement lasts for two years.  CBT will have to be retaken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the two-year certificate life.

For moped entitlement only, if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL196 is still current or complete a CBT course and obtain a DL196 after passing your car test, the certificate is not subject to expiry.

Please note that this applies to mopeds only ... the DL196 remains valid for two years for riding motorcycles as a learner.

After completing the CBT course, do I require more training?

Once you have successfully completed the CBT, you are advised to take additional training to pass your tests and qualify for a full motorcycle or moped licence.

How much pre-test motorcycle training might I require?

Various factors influence how much pre-test training you require but we will cover all the DSA test elements and tailor the training to your needs.

I haven’t ridden a motorcycle for years. Should I take training?

The differences between the bikes you used to ride and today’s bikes can be astounding. So a refresher course is a very good idea … think of it as developing the riding abilities you already possess.

What is the Enhanced Rider Scheme?

The Enhanced Rider Scheme (ERS) is training designed for fully licensed motorcyclists who would like to improve certain areas of their riding skills.

Does the ERS offer any other benefits?

As well as developing new skills, you can also get insurance discounts with the majority of motorcycle insurance brokers.

Do I need my own protective clothing?

We have a selection of helmets, gloves and waterproofs for use while training but you will need to wear sturdy boots, jacket and trousers. Not trackies, trainers and a hoodie.

Do I need to read the Highway Code before taking CBT?

Yes, having a good knowledge of the Highway Code before coming along for CBT will make the whole experience more enjoyable (and safer) for you. We will ask you some questions before heading out on the road, if we feel your knowledge of the highway code is lacking we will not take you out on the road and we will charge you to come back and finish the course.

Can I book training via email?

It is much easier for us to book training over the phone, there is no delay in confirming dates and times, we can get the information we need from you, pass on what you need to know and we can also answer your queries.

Why do I always get the answer machine when calling?

Most of our day is spent training out on the road, however if you leave your name and number we will call you back in the evening.

Scotriders motorcycle training centre:

74 East Dock Street, Dundee, DD1 3LH.

Cheers for a cracking day on Saturday passing my CBT. Big thanks to Pete for making the day fun despite the usual Scottish Summer (read: loads of bloody wind and rain!) looking forward to getting a new bike and eventually getting rid of my L plates once and for all!

Jamie Plommer

Fathers Day Surprise
CBT or DAS Gift Cards

It all starts with...
Call 01382 832829 today

Scotriders Motorcycle Rider Training in Dundee

Copyright © 2010 Scotriders. Online development - MediaCo (uk)